Monday, February 13, 2012

It's A Little Love Story...

I was going to write a Valentine's Day wrap up from this past weekend as the hubs and I had to celebrate a little early...so here it is...a mini-version. :)

(We went and saw "The Vow"...and I say...go see it! Great movie...very different than what I was expecting..but I loved it. Afterwards, we went to The Blind Bear downtown for a cocktail, and then we headed to dinner at Felicia Suzanne's. So. Amazingly. Good. Highly recommend! Finally, we headed over to McEwen's for dessert. Unfortunately, our trip there was cut short. Siggggh. I got sick. Yuck. While the food at Felicia Suzanne's was AMAZING...(go there. now.)...but it was rich. And because I've been on WW...I think it was a little too rich for me. And thus, I got sick. I felt way better after the fact. But, it wasn't the greatest ending to the night. The hubs and I will be doing a little something on Tuesday...but because I have class, it won't be anything crazy.)

Our first Valentine's Day as a married couple. I love this new top from Old Navy. And the hubs Banana Republic shirt is pretty Valentine's Day appropriate, huh?  He's had it forever...an oldie but a goodie. :)
But in honor of Valentine's Day week...here's our love story...thanks to Valerie at "Along the Way with V & J" for this fun idea!

1. How long have you & your significant other been together?
We have been together 7 years and almost 6 months.

2. How did you meet? {What's your love story?}
Oh me. This is kind of funny. And a little long. So bear with me. 

Brad and I met through mutual friends. 
In fact, Brad actually went on a double date with my best friend Sarah long before I met him. 
It was our freshman year of college, and I remember her busting through my dorm room door, and gushing, "Oh my gosh Jennifer. I just went on a date with this guy who is perfect. For YOU!
Needless, to say I was all ears. 
But it wasn't until a few months later that I would meet this "perfect for me" guy.
It's funny because he doesn't even remember this first meeting.
He was back in town from Mississippi State visiting his (and our) best friend Josh for the weekend. 
We all met up at an intramural football game on campus. 
And I remember thinking, "That is the cutest guy I've ever seen."
Sadly, that's where this part of the story ends. 
Brad didn't speak a word to me. Or anyone but Josh for that matter. 
So, I thought, "Gosh, that guy seems kind of stuck up."
Come to find out, that guy has a case of what I'd like to call, "social anxiety."
He doesn't talk to most people he's just met.
(I explain this because it has come up before...with people who didn't really know him at all...calling him things that were totally unwarranted..let's just say it starts with the letter "a" and ends with the letter "e." All because he's not the most social butterfly in the group. However, being in the service industry has really opened him up and pretty much cured him of his anxiety issues. So, Brad let me say, I am sorry I judged you like that. A lesson to be learned by all!)
So, another semester came to an end. 
Without a boyfriend. Without a first boyfriend to be even more specific.
Fast forward a few weeks to January 2004. 
It started out a great day.
A Tiger game with my best friends Josh and Sarah...and Brad who had transferred to the U of M suddenly.
That little fact made the day even better. 
I couldn't stop laughing. We were cracking each other up. 
And Brad was actually talking. To me. And wait...could it be...even flirting with me?
Nah. Not me.
Then suddenly what was a good day...turned into a bad evening. Quickly.
A guy who I had been interested in at the time (even gone on a road trip to visit him), basically told me that it wasn't going to happen. 
Okay, so what's a girl to do?
Throw her hair up in a doo-doo ball.
Throw on a t-shirt.... and her fake birkenstocks...
And go to a party.
Guess who was at the party?
Yep.
Mr. Brad Weaver (with our friend Josh).
So, let's just say....a few drinks later...as I am spilling my guts outside to him about how this guy pretty much ran all over me he busts out with, "Well, I can tell. He's stupid." 
Me: "Why?" 
Brad: "Because he didn't hang on to you."
Hooked. 
Line.
And.
Sinker.
Needless to say, a shot (or two) more of tequila...and I had the liquid courage to kiss this incredibly, way out of my league, hot guy. 
Unfortunately, because of those couple of shots...I don't remember our first kiss. Well not the exact coordinates. 
I recall it being on a brick wall in front of the International House on the U of M campus. 
According to the him...it happened in the driveway of the International House.
Who cares?
One kiss turned into a night full of kisses. 
We kissed in his mini-van (the big green machine. awesomeness.).
We kissed in a parking garage.
We even kissed in the rain that evening. (Which subsequently led to him getting pneumonia. Poor thing.)
And you'd think that would have led to a date right?
Nope.
After the haze cleared...this is what happened. 
Turns out, we had a class together that semester. 
We actually became friends.
Best friends.
We'd talk for hours out in the parking lot after class. 
And occasionally we'd make out on the weekends hanging out.
Whoops.
I told myself, I would not pressure this guy into a relationship. I treasured his friendship more than anything in this world. So, if I got to keep his friendship and that was all...it was worth it to me.
So, when the time came for the semester to end...that's what happened.
I moved back home to live with my brother and sister in law. 
And that summer, I spent the summer IM-ing (that's instant messaging for those of you are too young to know) him.
We'd spend hours talking online. 
And finally one day, I asked him to be my date to a wedding because..well I needed one. And I could think of no other person I'd rather go with.
And he said "yes."
And IM-ing turned into 3 hour phone calls...complete with falling asleep on the line (on both of our parts).
And then finally one night, after giving him the hint that other guys (true story) had been asking me out, and I wasn't sure what to tell them anymore because I was a little confused as to the status of our relationship...
He finally asked me to be his girlfriend...
"There is something I've been meaning to ask you for a little while now.." 
(Heads up guys. You should probably just ask her when you get the notion. We'd appreciate it.)
And then he came with me to the wedding. 
It was our first date.
A little over 5 years after him asking me to be his girlfriend, he asked me to be his wife..during the 5th inning of a Chicago Cubs game at Wrigley Field. 
It was the happiest moment of my life. 
Up until that point. 
A little over a year and a half later...I took his hand in marriage. 
Making it the happiest moment of my life. 
And here we are.
There are many details I left out. 
I could go on for hours about our love story. 
Those were just a few highlights.
It's not the most glamorous story. 
But it's the truth.
I might leave the tequila parts out when our kids ask us, "So, how did you and daddy meet?"
It would probably be for the best. 
Wouldn't want to scar them for life.
But that's our love story.
And I love every moment of it.We wouldn't be who we are today without all the details..good and bad.

3. If married, how long have you been married?
We've been married almost 9 months :)

photo by: amydale photography


4. If you are married, where did you get married? Big or small wedding?
We got married right here in Memphis, TN! We were married in the church Brad's parents got married in, the church that both he and I, and his grandparents' currently attend....Aldersgate United Methodist Church. We had our reception at the Jack Robinson Gallery downtown. I would say it was on the "medium" size scale in regards to people. I think there were around 135 people there (THANK YOU AGAIN TO ALL WHO MADE OUR DAY SPECIAL!)

5. Do you have any nick-names that you call one another?
Hmmm..."Baaaabbby" (in a very southern voice) is what I call him. 
He usually calls me "Honey."
(This question is kind of awkward.)

6. Name 3 things you love most about your honey.
1. Brad works harder than anyone else I know. His work ethic is something to be admired. Our children will have a fantastic example of someone to look up to.
2. The way he's vowed to make God a part of his life. And our marriage. And in the lives of our kids one day.
3. The way he loves me. All of me. Flaws and all. And that he's the first person who ever made me truly feel beautiful. He saw beauty on the inside and out. I prayed for years for God to send me someone who would do that. I'm glad I waited and didn't settle for just anyone because Brad was on his way to me. 

7. Tell us how he proposed?
This part is a little long. So I'll condense.
We had gone to Chicago for our 5 year anniversary.
We'd gone to a Cubs game the day before, and were going again.
So, he got up around the top of the 4th inning to go get some snacks.
He was gone for a while.
I started to worry.
"What if he fell in the bathroom and hit his head?"
(I obviously have a worrying issue.)
He finally came back with peanuts and a water.
So, eat peanuts...watch the game...eat more peanuts...when suddenly...I realized that either this particular peanut was fuzzy and not good...or there was something else in the bag.
"I don't want to open it....I don't want to!"
Brad: "It's okay Jennifer. Just pull it out and open it."
And there in front of a crowd of people...he said some of the sweetest words anyone has ever said to me...
And then he asked me to marry him.
I, of course, said "YES!"

And at that moment, the entire section cheered.

And then a Cubs player (Fox was his last name), hit a grand slam home run. 
And someone turned and yelled to us, "Hey that was for you guys!"
It was perfection.

8. Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day or strawberries, champagne, & rose petals?
Hmmm...I mean he usually gets me flowers. But not a teddy bear (where am I going to put that..on our bed? Weird.) He knows I don't like champagne...so maybe flowers and wine...and maybe even a good ol' Muddy's cupcake?

9. Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop in a movie and relax on the couch?
Well if we lived near the beach definitely that. However, we don't. So, I'll go for a relaxing night on the couch.

10. Tell us one thing you'd like to do with your significant other one day. If you could do anything or go anywhere?
Oh goodness. I think we'd both love to visit Italy. And/or live in Chicago for a year. Or even 6 months. 

11. Tell us what you plan on doing this Valentine's Day.
We already had our Valentine's Day festivities...we went and saw "The Vow"....then had dinner at Felicia Suzanne's...then dessert at McEwen's on Monroe. It was fun times. :) I have class on Valentine's Day night...so we had to do it early. 

Downtown with the hubs :)




12. Are you asking for anything this Valentine's Day?
Nope. He outdid himself for my birthday and Christmas. Anything else is just a bonus at this point. I'd love a little bit of his "time" and that's all. That will make me happy. 

13. Give us one piece of advice for keeping a relationship strong & full of love.
Keep God at the top:



14. Show us a picture of what love means to you.

(photo by amydale photography)

This is one of our engagement pictures. I love this picture. 
I don't see the two people head over heels in love with one another.
I see the light behind them.
I see God's love.
So this is a picture of what loves means to me...God's love.

I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine's Day...share a little love with not only your significant other...but also with the world around you.

Let your love light shine!

Much love, ;)

8 comments:

  1. So sweet. I'm a fellow Memphis blogger too. So glad I came across your blog. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Glad you stopped by as well. I love your blog! Happy Valentine's Day to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I don't see the two people head over heels in love with one another.
    I see the light behind them.
    I see God's love." GAVE ME CHILLS!!!!
    Loved reading about how y'all met!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came across your blog through Valerie at Along the Way with V & J. We grew up together so I am from right outside of Memphis too :) I love your story! And I especially love how he proposed to you! So so sweet! Hope y'all had a great Valentine's Day!

    PS. I'm your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a follower of yours also! Love your blog!

      Delete