Tuesday, August 23, 2011

So what I hear is...

"50" is the new "40"


"40" is the new "30"


and....yepppp...


"30" is the new "20".

Here's what the lovely Jennifer Anniston had to say on the Oprah Winfrey show a few months ago just days before her 42nd birthday about how she loves how it feels to be in her 40s:

"I would say just a comfort and an ease within myself. And sort of an ability to really tune out the unnecessary negativity," she says. "And really understand that it's all about just putting love and goodness out in the world."

You go girl.

And can anyone really believe Jennifer Anniston is 42?!


SHAZAAM.

Anywho, my point with all this jibber-jabber about getting older is that I want so bad to feel what these women in their 40s and 50s are feeling. 

I can't remember who she was, (although I am pretty sure it was someone on Oprah..<OF COURSE SHE WAS ON OPRAH>), when asked if she'd go back to her 20s, would or wouldn't she, this person didn't hesitate: NO WAY.

When asked why, she said it was because she was in no way comfortable with herself. She was constantly searching for herself...constantly trying to impress others...constantly trying to make others happy...constantly fighting with all those imperfections she saw in the mirror...

Whew. 

That's a lot of work.

And yet, I find myself in the midst of all of that. 

Well, maybe not all of them...but mostly feeling like I'm in a state of not feeling comfortable in my own skin. 

Hey, don't get me wrong, I have a long way to go as a person. I really believe there is always room to grow and be better...and....

Wait, does that sound like not being content with myself? 

Isn't that exactly what I am trying not to do?

Sigh.

So are we supposed to feel a sense of contentment with ourselves, or feel that there's always room to better ourselves?

Sigh.

I know I am probably making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I know I'm not alone when I say that I'm just trying to find some contentment with myself.

With me, though, If it's not one thing, it's another. 

"Man, I need to lose weight." 
"Gosh, I need to impress my professors." 
"I need to work harder for God."
"I need to do more around the house."

And on and on it goes....

I've heard that your 30s are better than your 20s. 

T-minus 882 days! Woo-hoo!

Look, I'm not wishing my life away. 

Because I love my life.

It's pretty darn sweet.

However, I think I am searching for that self-assurance and self-confidence that comes with getting older. 

Or...just waiting on the pill to take that will just magically make it appear within oneself. 

I am sure the drug companies are feverishly working on that as we speak.



Much love. ;)










2 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, YOU, my dear, are one of my most favorite people that I have met the last couple years! You is SMART, you is KIND, and you is IMPORTANT!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thank you Ellen! You are def one of my favs too!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete