Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Great Memphis Hot Chocolate Adventure - Round 3

Hiya friends :)

I hope life is treating you kindly today...tonight...whenever you like. :)

For this episode of "The Great Memphis Hot Chocolate Adventure" I decided to take a little less than conventional route.

I decided to make my own hot chocolate at home!

Yes, I know that I am looking for the best place to go and get a cup of hot chocolate here in Memphis.

But, my mother in law suggested this option.

And, hey, what if the best place to go to get a cup of hot chocolate is right at my house!

So...here goes!

I made mine from the recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa Powder tin.


Whip Cream? - NOPE!

Chocolate-ness- On a scale of 1-5 (5 being full on super duper chocolate flavor) I'd give it a 3ish--almost 4ish.

Richness- On a scale of 1-5 (5 being super duper rich), I'd give it a 3ish-4ish. After trying a few sips..(and following the recipe)....I actually had to add a Splenda packet because I didn't think it was sweet enough. Apparently I have a sweet tooth that rivals Buddy The Elf's. 



Size- Um...I think it was 8oz. :)

Calories - Wellllll.....because I made it at home...I really have no clue. ***update***
Okay, just got back from the kitchen....and looking up some things about the calories in 2 tablespoons of sugar..etc...and it looks like 220 for 8oz. 

Price- I think it was around $3.68 for 8oz of cocoa powder. From my calculations (which I will again remind you...I am a counselor in training...not a math teacher in training... so this is probably incorrect so this could be way off base) it looks like you could get about 22, 8oz, cups out of one canister of Hershey's Cocoa Powder. I mean, c'mon!!! That's a STEAL!



Cup cuteness- Well, in this category, I don't really have a lot to say because I used my own mug. :) However, I love my everyday plates and mugs I got when we got married. So I think they are super cute!

All in all...I think making your own hot chocolate at home is a great idea. It's definitely practical...especially in terms of not breaking the bank. (Hey, that's a little more Christmas shopping money in your pocket!) 

It was yummy. However, I am still looking for something a little more chocolately. I almost wanted to put a little piece of chocolate bar in the bottom to make it more rich. Alas, I have put off buying any sort of holiday candy in fear that I will be on the fast path to Maury Povich having to come cut me out of my house. 

But, I will definitely be making more for me and the hubs. 

I think it will be a fun Christmas Eve activity!

Where I got my supplies:
Kroger 
540 S. Mendenhall Road #16
Memphis, TN 38117
(at Mendenhall & Sanderlin...HANDS DOWN THE BEST KROGER IN MEMPIHS!)

The hunt continues!

I welcome anymore places to visit friends. I have a few more in mind...but feel free to leave a comment with any suggestions you may have.

Much love, :)


No comments:

Post a Comment