Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy 2012!

Hi friends!

Happy New Year!

Gosh, I don't know about you all, but I really can't believe that another year has gone by.

It seems like only yesterday, I was gearing up for the biggest year of my life.

And now, it is over!

Well, as mentioned in previous posts, I had decided to go ahead and run the 10K on NYE.

And I did!

But, as fate would have it, the race turned into a 12K.

Holy moly.

Yes, you read that correctly.

6.2 miles turned into 7.5.

Whoa.

It seems that one of the race volunteers forgot to tell us all (or was not where she was supposed to be) where to turn right around mile marker 3.

So, yep, we ALL ran an extra mile and a half.

The hubs said it was so funny as people crossed the finish line.

Here's the recap of expletives he heard:
"Jesus******!"
"Motherf*****!"
 "F*** this s***!"
"What the he** man?!"

And a lot of "I didn't know I signed up for a 12K!"

And one "Man, it must be that Collierville math..."

The last one doesn't make all that sense to me because I figure Collierville has great schools. It would make more sense if  "Collierville" was replaced with "Humboldt."

I kid.

Well, sort of.

Anywho, needless to say, as I made the uphill climb to mile 7, I was ready to see the finish line.

However, not only did I see the finish line, but I also saw my husband walking toward me.

At this point, he sort of resembled a mythical creature. Yes, delirium was probably setting in.

I feared that the whole thing was over. And I was going to be seriously sad.

Fortunately, he told me that it wasn't over, and that he was knew I was probably worried and wanted to let me know to keep going, the race course WAS messed up, and that the least he could do was run a little with me after I had run all that way.

AW.

So, he ran the last 0.25 miles with me, and let me cross the finish line.

It took me 1 hour and 41 minutes. Yes, that long.

However, I was not the last person to cross the finish line...which is what I feared would happen all along.

And after talking with some fellow runners along the way...it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Because all that matters is that you finish!!!

My fellow blogger Christin over at A Classy, Southern Wife had a great run with her friend. Way to go!! [And next time we run the same race, we'll get a pic of us together ;)]

I was so nervous at the start of the race, but I had an idea that calmed me down.

I decided to run each mile for someone in my life....
Mile 1: the hubs
Mile 2: my mom
Mile 3: my dad
Mile 4: my niece Hannah
Mile 5: my niece Heather
Mile 6: the big man upstairs (and no I don't mean Santa Claus)

And that gave the motivation to keep running. When I started to get discouraged, I thought of that person at whatever mile I was at...and it helped me through. I thought about them being on the race course cheering me on and encouraging me to keep going. I know that is major cheese-ball, but it worked for me.

And as Mile 7 approached I just kept God in my mind because at that point I needed him to keep me going!

Here's a pic recap:

Optimistic (trying not to barf) before the race starts...

Running towards the finish line....

Crossing the finish line!

So happy to be done!!

With the best cheerleader a girl could ask for!

Special carb lunch at Cracker Barrel

Excited for carbs. 

I am glad I decided to run. I honestly do feel a sense of accomplishment for having run that kind of distance. It was a great way to end the year!!

So, for the evening's festivities, I met some friends at Jim's Place Restaurant & Bar where the hubs is the bar manager.

They were actually way more busy (in the bar) than they had anticipated. But, it was a good busy...not a crazy busy.

Here's a recap of our wonderfully fun evening...

3 musketeers...Me, Steph, and & Sarah

Another one of my great friends Amanda and her boyfriend Taylor :)


Steph and her husband Tim





Me with the best bartender in town ;)


We had a great time. It was pretty low-key, and I think that's what we were all looking for this year.

Plus, the hot bartender kept making me some amazing adult beverages...he must have a crush on me or something... ;)

Here's a pic of the dress that I wore since I didn't seem to get a good pic of me in mine...

Yes, those are rhinestones on the sleeves...I was nervous about this dress bc of the mesh...I seemed a little risque for me...

I hope that your New Year's Eve was enjoyable!

In regards to resolutions, I am not a fan of making them.

I suppose I'd rather set goals.

So my goals for 2012 are as follows:
Love harder
Join Weight Watchers
Get down to a healthy weight
Stop obsessing about what size my jeans are
Finish my practicum and internship...then GRADUATE with my Master's in December!!!
Go visit my parents and my family more
Organize my house and keep it clean on a more efficient schedule
Try to commit one act of kindness a day
Join our church
Pray more
Be more humble
Strive to be the best person I can
Let go and let God in all I do

Achieve my goal of running 12 races in a year by Labor Day
See Chicago again
Cook more often
Be the best Matron of Honor I can be to my dear friend Elizabeth who is getting married in June

So there. 

There they are.

Hopefully, I'll be able to mark all of them off the list.

Hey, I'm going to try!

What's your main goal for this new year friends?

Hopefully, it involves a little love...

Last year was the most amazing year of my life. Mostly because I married my best friend. We had the wedding of our dreams and we planned it (and paid for most of it) by ourselves. I can look back on the experience and say it is something to be proud of. We both worked hard in our classes and over came many adversaries and challenges these past two semesters. I started running, and in the process finally found a hobby I really love. And the hubs is doing really fantastic at his workplace, and really loves where is he. I am grateful to have the job I do and am afforded the opportunity to be able to work with some of the greatest friends I've ever had.

Blessed. So blessed. 

And so grateful.

I can't wait to see what 2012 has in store.

Much love, :)

9 comments:

  1. Just a thought. If you're thinking about weight watchers, look into sparkpeople.com first. It's the same principle, done entirely online, and free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks girl! I will look into that for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you wore that dress 100 times better than that picture!!!

    happy new year, doll! you're so great!
    hope to see more of you and brad this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw Amy! Thank you so much!
    I think another goal of mine is as follows:
    To hang out with Amy and Andrew more because they are the bomb.com!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the run! And you look stunning on NYE!! Gorg!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your race! I wish we had met up!!! Next race we both run, let's definitely meet up. Since you can obviously do 7.5 miles, you should consider the Germantown half in March. Just sayin' :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Miss Bek! You are so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christin thank you! Hmmm...if you are considering running the Germantown half I will consider it, too. I was thinking of just trying to run the St. Jude half....but knowing me I'll get impatient and want to run a half sooner. So, we'll see!!

    ReplyDelete