Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Putting Things Away....

Hi friends!

How are you?

I hope well.

I am a little embarrassed to admit the following:

I have yet to get my wedding dress cleaned. 

It's hung in our office (in the bag at least!!) now since May.

Yikes.

I know.

Terrible.

Today, I finally took the steps needed to get my gown cleaned.

It's going to go into a preservation chest as part of the process, also.

Honestly, it makes me a little sad.

It's funny though.

I never imagined myself as one of those ladies super attached to her wedding gown.

And now I am.

I didn't have that "THIS IS THE ONE! (AND NOW TEARS ARE STREAMING DOWN MY FACE)" moment at the dress store.

In fact, I had another dress that was a serious contender. 

So, I went back and forth for at least a week between the two dresses.

So, today, I thought I'd share with you the other contender that almost had my heart. 

August 30, 2010. Don't ask me how I remembered the date. I just do! And yes, this was before I got my new  pearly whites.

Please keep all "back fat" comments to yourselves please.

This was my favorite part of the dress!

Gosh. 

It sure was pretty. And it made me look...dare I say...um...somewhat little?

When I put it on, I said, "Wow. I really feel like a bride in this one."

So, why did I choose the other??

Well, while that one made me feel like a bride, the dress I ultimately chose felt more like ME. When I put it on, I said "Ohhhh. I love this one. This is so pretty."

It had pockets.

It had a belt with beautiful beading.

It had a sweetheart neckline.

It was 100 pounds lighter than the other dress. 

It was simple.

And I just LOVED it. 

Period. 

Honestly, everyone else loved the dress I didn't choose more than the one I did.

My best friend Stephanie was the only other person to side with me in choosing the dress I chose. She knew from the get-go that it was my dress.

(Thanks Steph!!)

I don't regret my dress choice one bit. 

 It was light. It was $400 cheaper than the one I didn't choose. It was beautiful.

AND it was me.

Wedding day (Photo by amydale photography)

Wedding day (photo by: amydale photography)


Bridal shoot (photo by amydale photography)

Bridal shoot (photo by amydale photography)

I wanted a dress that was classic, a little retro/vintage looking, and would leave the door open for my daughter (if that is in the cards) to wear one day if she wants. 

I think I achieved that with my choice. 

So to all the future brides out there dress hunting...trust your gut. 

Don't let others sway you.

Stay true to yourself.

I promise, you'll thank yourself later. 

I will miss you dearly sweet dress.

You served me very well.

Much love, ;)

6 comments:

  1. I can completely relate to WHY you chose the dress you did! You look very bridal in both of them, and you made a stunning bride on the day it counted. :) I went with a dress that was not what I went looking for...but it was ME. I had to have it. And can totally relate!

    It's so funny that you would do this post...I've been thinking about my wedding dress all.day.long. I want to DO something with it. I don't want it in a box, I don't want it in a closet, but I don't really want it cut up into pieces either. I've been trying to think of something creative to do with it, but no luck so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you sweetie!
    I am so glad you found a dress that was YOU!
    Hmmm...I am not sure of a creative way to preserve your dress.
    I am just having mine cleaned, and put into a preservation chest!
    Check out this blog to see a very cool idea:
    http://www.lilianharlow.com/2011/09/wedding-dress-display.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thans for sharing that!
    You looked beautiful on your wedding day!

    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! And thank you for following!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i know...i tried my dress on six months after our wedding and i still LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw! It really is a hard thing to let go of Mrs. Pancakes!

    ReplyDelete