Monday, April 30, 2012

Inspirations...Pet Peeves...And Prayers....

Hi friends!

Happy Monday.

Yes, I understand. 

It's Monday

Yuck.

Anywho, I would like to start out this post by congratulating my dear sweet amazing friend Ellen.

She finished her first half-marathon on Saturday here in Memphis at the Dash for Dads race.

I am so proud of her!

Dear Ellen, yes I stole this pic off your facebook. If it creeps you out that I stole it and it is now on my blog  just let me know. ;) Doesn't she look awesome?!

If you don't remember, Ellen was my partner in crime a little under a year ago as we trained for our first 5k together. 



I am so proud of her for pushing through, I know, what was a busy semester for her (we are in the same Master's program) as she was in her internship and graduating in a few days. 

And she trained for a half-marathon. 

What what!

She is my inspiration to get back out there. 

I am hoping to run the St. Jude half-marathon this coming December. However, that would also require that I train train train during my internship. But hey, she did it. And I will use that as inspiration to motivate me!

Way to go Ellen!

Also, a big high five goes to Christin over at A Classy, Southern Wife

Home girl ran a half-marathon with what could be a broken big toe.

Talk about powering through adversity!

She doesn't advocate running when hurt, but check out her blog for a re-cap.

She is adorable.

Man o' man....all these runners are inspiring me to get back out there!

The hubs and I were at Sweet Grass Next Door  a few days ago, and I was people watching out the window. And then I remembered the Cooper Young 4-miler I ran in that neighborhood.

And how much fun I had. 

And how hard it was.

And how proud I was of myself after running it.

And then I realized how much I miss running. 

So, I think in order to get back out there in a healthy, slow way, as soon as my classes are ALL over (um, that would be tomorrow!!) I am going to make it a goal to incorporate C25K training in with my workouts I have been doing. 

I don't want to just jump right back in and then hurt myself. 

So, I am going to go back to square one. And start again. 

We'll see how it goes friends!

Okay, switching gears....

Can I just take a moment to rant about a pet peeve of mine??

Well, I am going to anyway.
;)

On Saturday, I went to Muddy's Bakery to grab some cupcakes for my sister-in-law's birthday.

Loveee Muddy's. 

(By the way, they are hiring as per the flyer on their door!)

Anywho, so as I am walking out the door with a box and bag in my hand, I see that someone is about to come in the door at the exact same time as I am leaving. 

So what do I do?

Well, of course, I hold the door open for her.

"Her" is what appeared to be a 15 or 16 year old young lady. With short short shorts on. And Ray-Ban aviators. 

Okay, I love Ray-Bans, but why the heck does a teenager need a pair of $150 sunglasses???

Whatever, they made her look "cool."

Apparently, what also added to her coolness factor was not thanking me for opening and holding the door for her. 

Nothing. 

Nada.

No "preciate it."

Not a dang thing.

Um, okay, whatever Abercrombie teen model girl. 

I don't need your thanks.

Whose thanks I really would have appreciated was her mother's.

Who I also held the door open for as she ran in the door about 20 seconds after her daughter.

She was on the phone the whole time talking in an excessively loud tone.

Did she take time out from her extremely important conversation to correct her daughter's mistake?

Heck no!

So, I, being annoyed at this point by getting a thank you rejection twice in a span of 60 seconds, said out loud "You're welcome!"

Of course, I immediately regretted the decision.

Well, maybe only a little.

I just can't stand it when people don't acknowledge simple acts of kindness. 

C'mon people!

My mother would have tanned my hide if I didn't say "thank you."

The excessive reminders I received as a child to be polite have pretty much trained me for saying "thank you" at any opportune moment. 

I am almost annoying at restaurants in the way that I say "thank you" to the server. 

Drop off waters?

Thank you.

Took our order?

Thank you.

Refill?

Thank you.

Offered dessert?

Thank you.

Dropped the check?

Thank you.

(Wait, shouldn't the server be thanking me for coming in and being a paying customer??)

I can't stop myself. 

It just rolls so easily off the tongue.

But I believe it better to thank more often as opposed to not thank enough.

Of course, maybe it's also a Southern thing. 

But I don't care!

Parents please teach your children "please" "thank you" and "you're welcome."

It is so refreshing to hear throughout the day!

Stepping off...soapbox....for today...

Thanks friends for bearing with me during that rant.

I feel better now. 

;)

I hope you all have a wonderful Monday.

You guys have been such prayer warriors lately. So, I ask that you continue those prayers.

A classmate of mine (who I graduated high school with) was involved in a terrible truck accident yesterday morning. He has a long long road to recovery. I ask for prayers for his doctors and nurses to help heal him. I also ask prayers for his family and friends to feel God's peace during this difficult time.

Thanks friends.

You guys are awesome!

Much love, ;)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! I think YOU'RE an inspiring runner :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love Muddy's too!!!
    But, can't believe those people didn't say thanks. RUDE!
    I would have had my hide tanned too if I didn't say thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Muddy's the GREATEST? Yummm. Thanks for heading over to my blog!

      Delete